Join me

Mia's Musings about Feng Shui, design, and life in general

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Obsessed with Orchids

As spring takes its own sweet time to arrive here in Alberta I am finding myself craving the lovely vibration of orchids.

I have several of these beauties in my home and I think I could develop a serious addiction to them. They brighten my living room, dining room, and one of my bathrooms and keep me from going insane during the long winters.

Here are five reasons to give orchids a try;
  1. They are as cheap as a bouquet of flowers but last longer. Orchids used to be very expensive, but are now so widely grown that for about $15 you can find one to fill every empty corner. This price tag means you can either keep them and see if they will re-bloom, or toss them and buy another. The one pictured here has bloomed for me twice a year for about 4 or 5 years, now that was $20 well spent!
  2. They are easy to care for. Water once a week (I use rainwater on all of my indoor plants), make sure their roots get air (pots should have holes to let excess water escape), let them be cool at night, about 16 degrees Celsius is perfect.
  3. They are said to have a very high vibratory quality and will raise the chi in your home. If they don't do well, you might want to do a little chi check.
  4. They soften and smooth the energy in a space and are a great cure for attracting a refined mate.
  5. They come in a huge variety of colors, sizes and styles. You can find one that will enhance any decor or fit into any space. Grouping smaller ones into a larger bunch makes for a really dramatic display.
You can find orchids everywhere from specialty florists to your local supermarket. The trick that I have found is to buy them when they first come in and look super fresh. This is especially important if you buy them at big box stores. You gotta get 'em before they are over watered or ignored to death.

Need a little chi boost? Try an orchid.