Join me

Mia's Musings about Feng Shui, design, and life in general

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Advent of Yin Day 3: Cold

Ok, I admit it. I do not like this particular yin word. In the Chinese Zodiac I am a 'fire horse' so the cold and I do not get along all that well. Fire represents the south, warmth, light and of course fire so you can see how the yin qualities can be a challenge for me personally. Fire is a very yang element.

However, my goal was to look at the positive aspects of all things yin and cold is definitely yin - so here goes. The most obvious positive of the cold for me is that without it, there is no warm. What is always important to remember is that without an aspect which we consider to be negative, there is nothing to measure the positive against. Relativity is the key.



Actually, though I am not fond of being cold I do love some of the things that are a result of it. I love the beauty of a cold, snowy landscape particularly if the sun is out for a little yin/yang balance. The tiny rainbows which are everywhere make my heart sing. I love that on cold sunny winter mornings the mountains west of me turn pink for a few precious minutes. That does not happen at any other time. I love the fur coat my dog puts on as a result of the cold, she is practically teddy bear soft at this time of the year. I appreciate that the cold here in Canada keeps us relatively pest free (can you tell I'm stretching here?), and that I get a rest from the garden duties for a portion of the year.

What do you love about the cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment