Join me

Mia's Musings about Feng Shui, design, and life in general

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Advent of Yin Day 5: Slow

Today's yin word is slow.


In a world which seems to be in a constant state of rapid movement, slow has become a foreign concept for many. Remember 'old people' saying how fast time seemed to fly in their world? Well, I must be an 'old person' because it sure seems to me that time flies! So I say rather than getting too caught up in the season crazies, make time for a little slow. Here are some great reasons;
  • slow cooked always tastes amazing
  • a slow walk lets you know your neighborhood and possibly even your neighbors
  • driving more slowly is less dangerous
  • eating slowly can be a meditation
  • thinking slowly lets us respond rather than react
  • slowing down increases awareness
What else is great about slow?

The yin of the winter season naturally begs us to slow down, to cozy up with a good book and a cup of tea, to reflect on the harvest of the year. Rather than forge against that natural cycle, why not take the time to practice slowness? I just noticed (because I slowed down) my friends at Cafe Divine in Okotoks are holding a Terra Madre slow food dinner this Friday night, December 10th. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment